Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rice Pilaf


You have no idea how many times I have meant to post this recipe; how many times I have lost this recipe, to find it, to lose it again, and then find it.  Every time I'm looking for it, I say "I posted it last time I found it, didn't I?"... ummmmm... yeah... NOPE!  Grrrrrr.  Tonight, I really wanted this to go along with the chicken we were grilling out and I looked everywhere -- my old recipe box, a binder having oodles of recipes I have saved, in my recipe folder on my computer.  I couldn't find it.  I even tried Google, because I was pretty sure it originated from an old Campbell's soup recipe.  For giggles, I did a search in my e-mail and found that back in 2007, I had e-mailed it as an entry to "The New England Newlywed Cookbook".  THANK GOODNESS!  But, I obviously can't take credit for the recipe.  Although it may have come from some place like Campbell's, I got it from my former mother-in-law (Catherine's grandmother), probably at least 20 years ago.  She would make it all the time, especially to go with grilled steak tips, and the memories of how good it is have always stayed with me.  This rice pilaf is such a "good home cookin" kind of side dish.  It's something that I know both Catherine and I could just eat an entire bowl of for that yummy in our tummy feeling.

So finally... at long last... I'M FINALLY POSTING IT HERE ...

  • ½ cup egg noodles
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup water
  • ½ cup regular rice

DIRECTIONS 
  1. In a saucepan, brown the noodles in butter, stirring continuously
    (browned... so they almost seem like they are overdone)
  2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil
  3. Stir and cover, reducing heat to low.
  4. Cook for 20-30 minutes.

No comments: