Monday, May 6, 2013

Baked Mashed Potatoes


I was watching Food Network's "The Pioneer Woman" and saw Ree Drummond make these.  She calls them Crash Hot Potatoes, but I knew I would never find them in my own blog again by that name so I renamed it as I tried to explain it to my family as we sat down to dinner -- "you know... those mashed potatoes that are baked -- yeah, baked mashed potatoes."  Hey, after eating these, I don't care what they are called... the are SCRUMDILLYISHOUS!

  • 12 small potatoes (with skins)(I have used both a Yukon gold and red potatoes -- the picture above was made with the red potatoes)
  • 4 Tbsp. olive oil(really just eyeball to drizzle)
  • 6 Tbsp. butter, divided
  • Kosher salt 
  • Fresh ground black pepper 
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. 
  2. Preheat the oven to 475F. 
  3. Place the potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet, with a drizzle of olive oil on the foil.
  4. Using a potato masher, gently press down to mash each one. The tops of the potatoes should be really textured.
  5. Drizzle the tops of the potatoes with the remaining olive oil.
  6. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and about a ½ Tbsp. butter on top of each smashed potato.
  7. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15-25 minutes -- the crispier the better!

No comments: