Sunday, May 12, 2013

Grilled Meatloaf Burgers


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

I decided to make today special -- I wanted to make a dinner that was a little different, but one that everyone would enjoy, but wouldn't be too much work.  I wanted to do a slightly different twist on hamburgers.  My sister, Caroline, made Grilled Mushinata Burgers last year on our family vacation -- basically grilled Italian meatball burgers.  They were delicious.  Taking off on this idea, and knowing that Catherine likes hamburgers, but without the buns, I thought, "what if I made grilled burgers out of meatloaf?"  I looked on Pinterest and realized I wasn't the first genius who had come up with this idea, so I just decided to use a "Tried and True" meatloaf recipe.  Knowing how much Catherine LOVES ketchup (she's one who needs to have ketchup on her ketchup), I started with Martha's Glazed Meatloaf recipe.  From there, grilled deliciousness was born!  YUM-DILLI-YUM-YUM-YUM!

The kids had plain hamburgers and the grown ups had these fantastic meatloaf burgers.  Catherine helped make the corn on the cob and the mashed potato salad, and I also made some green beans with sautéed garlic and shallots.  What a great dinner for us moms!  (oops, if I do say so myself... lol)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat grill to about 500 degrees
  2. Make glaze according to Martha's Glazed Meatloaf recipe and set aside
    I actually doubled it, and might consider tripling it for next time, setting aside one serving's worth for dipping once served
  3. Make meatloaf according to the same recipe
  4. Measure out in half-pound increments and make into patties
    I found it best to freeze for about 1 hour, as the patties are quite moist and it helps give them a better structure for grilling
  5. Baste with the reserved glaze the side of the patty that is coming into contact with the grill first
  6. As the patties are going on the grill, turn down the heat to medium-low
  7. Before turning, baste other side of each patty with the remaining glaze and flip
  8. Grill for approximately 6-8 minutes per side
  9. Serve, topped with a slice of cheese on a lightly grilled fresh bulkie roll
    I bought Wegman's Steakhouse Onion Cheese and Wegman's bulkie rolls


No comments: