Thursday, May 16, 2013

Grilled Potato Wedges



I had taken out ground beef from the freezer yesterday to thaw out and everyone voted on hamburgers to have for dinner tonight.  I wanted to make something as a side dish, but all we had were russet potatoes.  When I think about russet potatoes, I think of baked potatoes, but considering we hit almost 80 degrees today, I wasn't in the mood to turn on the oven.  I searched through Pinterest and found a recipe and I pinned it.  If you see it on my Pinterest board, you'll notice it's a little different than what I am posting here (the recipe was in the actual pin, with no valid link, so I can't post it here).  Let's just say I "adapted" this more because of not reading the directions correctly, than looking to change it.  But they still came out pretty dang good -- cooked through, crispy on the outside, and flavorful (although I have been requested to not "eyeball" the red pepper flakes next time -- I may have shaken more than what the recipe called for.  Oops :-)  But yummy for me!)
  • 4 russet potatoes, scrubbed
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
DIRECTIONS
  1. Put the potatoes in a pot of cold water, add 2 tablespoons of salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat
  2. Cook the potatoes until tender, but still firm, about 30-40 minutes
  3. The potatoes should be cooked through and fork tender, but still holding their shape without losing the skins
  4. Drain and put on a cutting board to cool
  5. Let cool, then slowly and carefully cut each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges
  6. Heat grill to medium-high
  7. In a small saucepan, heat on high the canola oil, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley and cheese, stirring constantly until just boiling and then remove from heat
  8. Carefully place potato wedges in a medium sized bowl, pouring in the oil and herb mixture, gently turning until the wedges are coated
  9. Place each potato wedge on the grill, reserving the remaining oil and herb mixture in the bowl
  10. Cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side
  11. When thoroughly grilled, carefully transfer back to the bowl and gently toss the wedges in the remaining oil and herb mixture
  12. Transfer to a serving bowl

No comments: