Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lasagna Soup




I have no idea what it is – the cold weather, the desire to make new foods, the fun of sharing with others, but whatever it is, I’m loving finding recipes and cooking lately.  I get so excited seeing all of the new recipes that get posted on Pinterest and Facebook.  This morning, I made a plan to go grocery shopping with my bestie, LaDawna.  We generally make a trek out to Wegmans at least once a month.  I pulled up all of the recipes that I wanted to consider making for this week and figured out my grocery list.  This recipe for Lasagna Soup had been left open on my desktop for at least the past week or two.  I was so excited to make this tonight that I didn’t care that I was making it at 9pm.  Jim had a bowl when it was done about an hour later, and thought it was very good, but he would have preferred less heat and no oregano; but the few bites I took, I’ll admit it – I loved it just as it was.  This is a great, hearty, flavorful soup for these bitterly cold days of January!

  • ¾ lb. pasta
    (I used casserole macaroni; the original recipe used rotini)
  • 1 Tbsp. oil
  • 16 oz. ground Italian sausage
    (I used mild Italian sausage and removed from the casing)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp. red pepper flake
    (Increase or decrease based on your desire for heat.  I made with the ½ tsp. and my husband said his mouth was a little firey)
  • 2 tsp. oregano
    (My husband requested that I omit next time, as he’s not a fan of oregano in general.  I, personally, didn’t mind it)
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. dried basil or 1/2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
  • 4 cups chicken broth/stock
  • (1) 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 2 heaping Tbsp. tomato paste
  • ½ cup ricotta cheese
  • ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 2 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large stock pot, heat the oil on medium heat and cook the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks.
  2. Remove sausage from pan and set aside, draining any excess fat back into the stock pot.
  3. Add the onion to the stock pot and sauté until translucent.
  4. Add in the garlic, and stir for a minute or two.
  5. Stir in the red pepper flake and allow to cook for a minute.
  6. Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, tomato paste, oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper.  (The pasta will cook as the soup simmers.)
  7. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low; add the cooked sausage back in and allow the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes.
  8. Pre-heat your broiler on high.
    (I used my toaster oven)
  9. Make the cheese topping by combining ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
  10. To serve, spoon about 1-2 cups of soup in to oven safe bowls.
  11. Spread some of the cheese mixture over the top and broil for a few minutes, or until the cheese is all melted and bubbly.
  12. Keep a close eye on the bowls of soup as the cheese melts so that it doesn’t burn; carefully remove with oven mitts – the bowls will be extremely hot!


Serves about 6

Adapted from Center Cut Cook blog
http://centercutcook.com/lasagna-soup/

No comments: