Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mango Margaritas


Mexican themed Family Game Night needed a Mexican themed drink.  A couple weeks ago, we were all shopping at BJ's and Catherine wanted to try mango.  Well, you know shopping at BJ's... you don't leave with just one mango -- you come out with a package of 6 huge mangoes.  Not surprising, I'm not sure how much Catherine really managed to eat, but I remember that I gave at least 2 or 3 to LaDawna, and I think we cut up at least 1.  Looking in the fruit drawer, there were still 2 remaining.  I had asked my friends "what to do with mango?", hoping to get ideas.  My friend, Cindi, came up with the awesome idea of Mango Margaritas, and gave me her recipe.  For our game night of 6 people, I quadrupled this recipe, and had a little leftover for me to enjoy tomorrow.  Muy delicioso!
  • 1¼ oz. silver tequila  (Oops!  I think I actually used white)
  • 1 oz. triple sec
  • 1½ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 oz. simple syrup  (See instructions below)
  • ¾ cup partially frozen mango, unsweetened  (Jim actually added a little of the tequila before he put in the freezer)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Make simple syrup -- In a small saucepan, boil 1 part water.  Dissolve 2 parts sugar into the boiling water, stirring constantly.  Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat.  Allow to cool completely and thicken.
  2. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
  3. Pour the mixture into hurricane-style glasses.

No comments: