Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fajitas


It was time to make the meal plan for the next Family Game Night.  Gabi came over last week to help me plan it, and somehow we got on the idea of making it a Mexican theme.  We thoughts Fajitas would be fun, and also added all the fixings, plus Sangria, Margaritas, and Key Lime Pie.  Never having made Fajitas before, I took to the internet and found a recipe on Food Network, by Giada De Laurentis, that used the same marinade recipe for both chicken and steak.  I quadrupled the below recipe, to make enough marinade for the meat that I bought.  I ended up getting one piece of steak and one piece of chicken for each person (we were a party of 6 tonight).  I fresh squeezed all of the juices and Jimmy grilled it all outside.  Sampling some of the steak as I was cutting it, it tasted delicious, but I was a little surprised how non-Mexican it tasted.  Of course, I said to myself, I took the recipes from the Italian cooking show, so why am I so surprised?  lol.... But once we put it together with the tortillas, the grilled onions and peppers, and the other fixin's (my homemade guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and salsa), these Fajitas were pretty amazing (if I do say so myself).
  • ½ cup orange juice  (I used fresh squeezed)
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 2 large limes, zested and juiced
  • ¼ cup agave nectar, or 3 Tbsp. brown sugar  (I used the brown sugar)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. dried oregano  (I omitted this)
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast  (I used thin chicken cutlets, and cooked 1 per person)
  • 1 (12-16 oz.) skirt or flank steak   (I cooked 1 per person) 
  • Flour tortillas 


DIRECTIONS
  1. In a bowl, combine the orange juice, olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, agave nectar (or brown sugar), garlic, oregano, chili powder, and salt.
  2. Pour the mixture into a marinating container or gallon-sized plastic bag.
  3. Add the chicken and steak and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning meat occasionally.
  4. Reserve the marinade  (Oops! I forgot to do this part... this probably would have tasted good too!)
  5. Grill the chicken, about 5-8 minutes on each side.  Grill the steak, about 5 minutes per side for medium.  Allow the meat to rest before slicing.
  6. (This is what I forgot to do)  Meanwhile, put the marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (in order to kill any bacteria).  Boil for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.  Pour the marinade over sliced meat and toss until coated.
  7. Serve meat in warm tortillas with fixings of your choice.

No comments: