Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tortilla Chip and Pepper Jack Crusted Chicken with Avocado Jalapeno Ranch Sauce



 It's been a while since I've opened my test kitchen to try something new.  Maybe it was the summer, or maybe it was just pure laziness... I just wasn't in the mood.  But with the cold weather and the desire not to spend so much money on take out, I stocked up my refrigerator and freezer and headed over to Pinterest for some inspiration.  This one had me!  They had me at tortilla... and then at pepper jack... and then again at avocado.  It produced a moist, tasty, flavorful meal -- something I'm sure I will make again.

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • (1) 9 oz. bag tortilla chips
  • 4 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • ½ Tbsp. garlic powder
  • ½ Tbsp. cumin
  • ½ Tbsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. lime juice

Sauce:

  • 1 cup mayo 
  • ½ cup buttermilk
    (I used powdered buttermilk and added water per the instructions)
  • 1 cup sour cream 
  • 1 packet Ranch dip mix 
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder 
  • 1 Tbsp. onion powder
  • 1-3 Tbsp. diced jalapeno slices (from a jar)
  • 1 tsp. lime juice
  • 2 avocados

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Crush the bag of chips until there are fine pieces.
    (You could use a food processor to blend, but I just crushed in the bag)
  3. You should have 2-3 cups of crushed chips.
    (Reserve the rest of the bag in case you don't have enough.)
  4. Mix the shredded cheese and the crushed chips together.
  5. Whisk together the mayo, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice.
  6. Dredge the chicken breasts into the mayo and then into the chip mixture, pressing down to make sure it's all coated.
    (Here's where you may need the extra chips for coating if you run out.)
  7. When all the chicken is coated, place in a greased baking dish and bake for about 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is done all the way through and the chips are crispy. 
  8. Blend the sauce ingredients together in a food processor and serve over the chicken. 

No comments: