Thursday, November 21, 2013

Beef and Cheddar Casserole


Yesterday I took out some ground beef from the freezer thinking I'd make tacos, burritos or nachos.  But then thinking about how my poor husband had gone his third day with no lunch, and he's probably sick of me making taco meat, I put it in the fridge and made something else.  Since today was Day 4 of no lunch for my work warrior, I looked at things I had already pinned on Pinterst for something using the ground beef, but that didn't involve taco seasoning.  I had saved this from Food Network, and I have to say, I REALLY liked it.  I think I have found a new go-to comfort food recipe.


  • Kosher salt
  • 12 oz. wide egg noodles
  • 1 ½ cups sour cream
  • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 bunch scallions (white and green parts), finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • (1) 14 ½ oz. can petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
  3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook to al dente according to the package directions.
  4. Drain and put pasta in the prepared baking dish.
  5. Toss with the sour cream, Parmesan and ¼ teaspoon salt.
  6. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until no longer pink.
  7. Add the red peppers and scallions and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
  8. Make a space in the pan, add the tomato paste and toast for a minute.
  9. Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt.
  10. Add the diced tomatoes, stir and bring to a simmer.
  11. Cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
  12. Pour the beef mixture over the noodles and sprinkle with the shredded cheddar.
  13. Bake on the middle rack until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbling, about 15 minutes.
  14. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Adapted from Food Network 

No comments: