Sunday, January 20, 2013

Nutella Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

My poor husband got such a gift for his birthday this year -- the flu.  ACK!  So, we declared it birthday week and have been doing little things throughout the week to try and celebrate even though he still feels icky.  He got one present two days before his birthday, and the rest on his birthday; and now as he's feeling a little more like himself, and it's the weekend, Catherine and I made today a baking day.  Since we had bananas that went directly from green to brown, Jim said he wanted chocolate chip banana bread.  I went on Pinterest and found this recipe.  The family appears to give it thumbs up!
  • ¾ cup sugar 
  • ½ cup vegetable oil 
  • ½ cup Nutella
  • 2 overripe bananas
  • 2 eggs 
  • ½ cup buttermilk
    (I did not have buttermilk, so I used regular milk, and it seemed to be ok)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
    (I did not have milk chocolate so I used dark chocolate chips)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Prepare two loaf dishes by lining with parchment paper and greasing lightly with a nonstick cooking spray.
    (I used four mini-loaf pans, and only used the cooking spray)
  3. Mix oil, Nutella, and sugar in a large bowl with a stand mixer.
  4. Add the bananas, eggs, buttermilk, and baking soda to the Nutella mixture. Mix well.
  5. Slowly add flour and chocolate chips, until just combined. Try not to overmix!
  6. Divide the batter evenly between the loaf pans.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
    (Even with the mini-loaf pans, I still needed close to the 45 minutes.  I suggest setting the timer for 30 minutes and check if it needs additional time.)

 Adapted from Something Swanky blog

Nutritional Data:
(click to enlarge image)

 

No comments: