Monday, December 31, 2012

Homemade Tomato Sauce


I actually made this for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but this weekend was the first time I got to make it testing out my new immersion blender that I got for Christmas.  I made the sauce to go along with homemade meatballs to make little sliders for Family Game Night.  This is a good simple recipe I found on Food Network that I think my husband actually likes.
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced fine
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, diced fine
  • 1 carrot, diced fine
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (28-oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tsp. dried basil
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, optional

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
  2. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper.  Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1-2 hours or until thick.
  5. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning.
  6. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the  flavors.
  7. With an immersion blender, pulse on low until smooth.

    If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.

Adapted from Giada De Laurentis foodnetwork.com

No comments: