Monday, November 26, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash

I actually tried this recipe last year for Thanksgiving from my friend Martha (surprise, surprise).  I had asked her for her recipe since I was hosting "Thanksgiving Part 2" and I figured I should make a traditional orange vegetable, even though, to be honest, they aren't ones that I really like.  I was told that I did a respectable job creating a side dish even though I personally don't dig it myself.  Last year, I followed the instructions just as Martha has in her blog; however, similar to my disdain for scooping the potatoes from the skins in my Loaded Baked Mashed Potato Casserole, I didn't particularly relish doing it with the squash once it was roasted.  This year, I decided to try peeling and cubing the squash before roasting it (full disclosure, I asked Jimmy to do the peeling and cubing for me).  I also used a potato masher, instead of pureeing the roasted squash in a food processor.  Without tasting it myself, I was told that it came out quite nicely.
  • 2 butternut squash 
  • 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • ½ tsp. black pepper
  • 6 small shallots, halved
  • 4 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. 
  2. Trim stem ends from squash, then halve lengthwise, discarding the seeds.  Peel and cube squash.
  3. Transfer the squash to a rimmed baking sheet lined with tin foil.
  4. Season with salt and pepper and top with shallots, honey, thyme, and melted butter.
  5. Cover the cookie sheet with tin foil and roast until softened, about 45-60 minutes.
    (Roasting for longer is better than not long enough. A thin-bladed paring knife should cut through the squash "like buttah.")
  6. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher. 
  7. Serve warm.

    You can cover and refrigerate the puree for up to 48 hours. To rewarm, heat in a covered saucepan over low heat for 10 minutes.
 Adapted from Martha's Throwing Spoons blog

No comments: