Monday, November 26, 2012

Cranberry Eggnog Mini Muffins


When I was a kid, I would have the Pillsbury cranberry bread during the holidays.  I wasn't a huge fan of cranberries, back then, but I loved this bread.  Now that I really like cranberries, I wanted to have this taste again.  I took to Pinterest and found this recipe.  Knowing how much Catherine LOVES egg nog, I thought this would be a great addition to our Thanksgiving feast.  The recipe was for 4 mini loaves, but I thought mini muffins would be easier for people to pop in their mouths and enjoy, and considering they are all gone, I think I made the right choice.
  • 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs 
  • ¾ cup eggnog
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped frozen cranberries
  • 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Streusel
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar 
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, slightly softened
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease 2 mini muffin pans.
    (You can also use regular muffin tins, mini loaf pans or a regular loaf pan) 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, eggnog, butter and almond extract.
  4. Mix in dry ingredients just until combined.
  5. Toss cranberries with 2 T. sugar and then stir into batter.
  6. Prepare streusel topping by combining topping ingredients using a mixer, pastry cutter, or two knives until crumbly.
  7. Fill prepared pans until about 1/2 – 2/3 of the way full (this batter rises a lot!).
    (For the mini muffin pans, I used the Pampered Chef small scoop for each muffin)
  8. Top with streusel topping.
  9. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until the breads test done with a toothpick inserted in the center coming out clean.
Adapted from The Nifty Food blog

No comments: