Friday, February 17, 2012

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

 
I hab a code.
I really shouldn't complain since I've managed to get through the whole winter to the middle of February without getting sick.  So, I'm pretty thankful, and trying to stay positive despite feeling like there is a thousand cotton balls filling the space between my nose and my brain.  Prettttttttty.
Anyway... yesterday, I took Catherine to Panera Bread for lunch before her dentist appointment and we both got the Broccoli and Cheese Soup.  It was a good for the body soup (ok, maybe not, but it sure did make me feel better).  When we got home after school today, I had no desire to cook anything.  If we had potatoes, Catherine and I considered Loaded Baked Potato Soup, but alas we were missing the key ingredient.  That's when I remembered the Broccoli and Cheese Soup from yesterday.  We had broccoli and we had cheese.  I took to Pinterest and found all of these recipes for Panera's yummy soup.  Hot, yummy soup.  Soooooooo good!


  • ½ medium onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • Splash of oil
  • ¼ cup butter
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup light cream
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • ½ lb. fresh broccoli
  • 1 cup carrots, julienned
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • 8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a stock pot over medium-high heat, add about 1 tablespoon of butter and a splash of oil.  Toss in the onions and sauté.  Remove the onions from the pot.
  2. Add the ¼ cup of butter to the stock pot and melt, then add the flour, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes, or until the flour cooks.
  3. Stir in the milk and cream, and then add 1 can of chicken broth.
  4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  5. Add ½ of the second can of chicken broth.
  6. Add the broccoli, carrots, onions, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
  7. Cook over medium low heat for 20 - 25 minutes or until the veggies are cooked.
  8. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
  9. If needed, add the remaining chicken broth.
  10. Remove from heat and serve with bread.

No comments: