Saturday, December 24, 2011

Thin Mints

A couple weeks back, my friend Martha hosted her 2nd Annual Cookie Swap.  My other friend, Tasha, brought these Thin Mints to share, but not to swap.  Everyone raved about them and insisted that they tasted as good as the Girl Scout Thin Mints.  Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of Thin Mints in general (or really, just mint), so I didn't partake, but I was so intrigued that I figured I had to make them.  I made them, first, for the NSOD Holiday Showcase bake sale.  But, I only had semi-sweet chocolate chips.  I was so confused why I was having such a hard time dipping them.  All of my other friends who were making them were saying that it only took them 20 minutes and it was super easy.  I was going well over an hour, and they were a pain in the bleep.  Since I had tons of Ritz crackers left, and if I didn't start to use them I'd eat them, I decided to give them another try, but this time buying the dark chocolate.  Let me say, I really think that made all the difference.  They were so much easier to make!  And Jim gave this batch a thumbs up, whereas the first round was just "eh".  I couldn't understand why everyone else making them was raving over them, and these were just "ok".  It had to be the dark chocolate.  Now, Jim is saying he can't stay away from these.


  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers (may need a few more)
  • 1½ tsp. peppermint extract
  • (1) 12 oz. package dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp. Crisco
DIRECTIONS
  1. Melt the entire package of chocolate chips in the microwave with one teaspoon of Crisco -- about 2 minutes at about 80% power, stopping every 30 seconds to stir for even consistency.
  2. When fully melted, stir in peppermint extract.
  3. Dip the Ritz crackers in the melted peppermint chocolate until all of the chocolate is gone.
  4. Place on wax paper and put in the freezer to set up.
Makes about 1 - 1½ sleeves worth of Ritz crackers

No comments: