Sunday, November 21, 2010

Caramel Walnut Pie

I was trying to come up with my meal plan for "Thanksgiving Part 2" last year (2009), and started by looking through the latest food magazines. I got the Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine in the mail, and came up with a bunch of recipes I wanted to try. I don't particularly like pecans, but I LOVE walnuts. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. Not only did I love it, but so did everyone else.
  • 1 frozen pie crust, thawed
  • 4 large eggs
  • ¾ cup light brown sugar
  • ¾ cup light corn syrup
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 ¾ cups walnuts, halved
  • 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
DIRECTIONS
  1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
  2. Fit the piecrust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" glass pie dish. Crimp the edges to form a ¼-inch high border and refrigerate.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until smooth.
  4. Whisk in the corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt.
  5. Gently stir in the walnuts.
  6. Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake until the filling is set in the center, 35-40 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
  7. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream and honey until stiff peaks form.
  8. Serve the pie with the honey whipped cream.

No comments: