Sunday, December 24, 2017

Vodka Pie Crust

Long time, no see!  I've gone through a drought of motivation, inspiration and energy to do much.  There's been a lot of take-out involved (shame).  But, 'tis the holidays, and it's time to bring on a little holiday spirit.  I'm looking to make a homemade chocolate cream pie for tomorrow's Feast of Christmas Eve, and came here to look for the Vodka Pie Crust I made last year.  But it wasn't here!  Further proof I've gotten super lazy (sigh).
Last year was the first year I had ever made a homemade pie crust.  To be honest, I felt super intimidated by it for some reason.  But thanks to my new Ninja food processor and this recipe I found on Food Network, I conquered my fears and made (in my opinion) a delicious pie crust.

  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. fine salt
  • 1 ½ sticks (12 Tbsp.) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • ¼ cup vodka
  • 3 to 4 Tbsp. ice-cold water


DIRECTIONS 
  1. Pulse the flour, shortening, sugar, salt and 4 tablespoons of the butter in a food processor until it has the consistency of a fine meal.
  2. Add the remaining 8 tablespoons butter, and pulse until you have pea-sized pieces.
  3. Sprinkle the vodka and water over the flour, and pulse until the dough just comes together.
  4. Evenly divide the dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, and gently pat each into a round.
  5. Wrap each round tightly and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour and up to overnight. 


Makes (2) 9” crusts for single crust pies, or (1) double-crusted pie

The dough can be frozen for up to 2 months.

Credit:  Food Network - Original Recipe

1 comment:

Beth L. said...

Looks like a really good recipe!