Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Blueberry Coconut Baked Oatmeal

 


Happy New Year 2016!

We are into the third week and the cold weather has sunk in and permeated life.  It’s also that time of year where the resolutions are refreshed to be healthier, lose weight, exercise, yada yada yada.  I found this recipe, I think linked off of Facebook, and it just reminded me of how I think oatmeal is a winter breakfast, and then when I saw that it was healthy, I really was intrigued.  But then the big thing – it had me at blueberry.  I love blueberries.  This was really easy to make – just mix together in a bowl, pour into a pan, bake, cool and eat.  It was really yummy, but I will say that as healthy as the nutritional facts say, I venture to guess that its healthiness quotient is downgraded when you REALLY want to go for a second serving.  Definitely worth making, though… YUM!


  • 1 large egg
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 cups Silk unsweetened coconut milk
  • 3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
    (someone hid the coconut oil, so I had to use butter)
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • ½ cup unsweetened coconut
    (I didn’t have unsweetened coconut, so I just used sweetened coconut)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat over to 350 degrees
  2. In a large bowl whisk together egg, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
  3. Add in coconut milk and oil and whisk until combined.
  4. Stir in rolled oats, unsweetened coconut, baking powder, and blueberries.
  5. Pour into a 8x8 baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray, and baked for 40 minutes.
  6. Let cool for 5 minutes then cut into 9 pieces and serve with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

Make Ahead Instructions
This oatmeal can be made completely ahead of time and frozen for future breakfast. Cut into portions and wrap in plastic wrap. When ready to eat remove from plastic wrap and heat up in oven or microwave.

Yields 9 Servings

Nutritional Data
Calculated as I made it, original recipe states 171 calories per serving
 

1 comment:

Healthy Grocery said...

Can look at my blog to see nutritional facts of food at grocery stores.