Monday, July 20, 2015

Pesto



Pesto is just about the easiest thing to make if you have a food processor – dump all of the ingredients in the bowl, hit pulse for a couple minutes and VIOLA!   Done!  Yet… for some reason, I don’t make it more often.  I think it’s because, until recently, basil in bulk was pricey and hard to find.  Pesto was something my mom used to make – I don’t remember having it, but I know she loved it (I don’t think I was a fan when I was younger… but those taste buds of mine have matured a bit).  Now I love it too!  Until such time as our new basil plants get a little bigger, Market Basket helps me out by selling a big bag of basil and it’s not that expensive.

  • ½ cup pine nuts
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 3 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a food processor or blender, blend together basil, nuts, garlic, and cheese.
  2. Pour in oil slowly while still mixing, and then add in salt and pepper.
  3. Scrape down the sides and pulse once more to make sure it's well-blended.

Adapted from Gimme Some Oven Blog

No comments: