Friday, November 11, 2011

Basic Old Fashioned Bread and Celery Stuffing



The first year I hosted a Thanksgiving (I can't even remember which year that way), my sister-in-law, Judi, brought me this dated and well-used pamphlet from 1981 called "The Turkey Textbook -- the secret to tender turkey".  I'm not sure if she got it from the grocery store or a magazine, but in it holds the keys to making Thanksgiving dinner, including roasting a turkey and making a stuffing to fill the bird.  Although I don't stuff my turkey, I've started making this delicious recipe, using the notation below about baking the stuffing in a casserole dish before serving.

  • 4 cups diced celery
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup butter or margarine
  • 4 quarts dry bread cubes/crumbs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 ½ tsp. poultry seasoning
  • ½ tsp. sage
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • Hot chicken broth

DIRECTIONS
    1. Cook celery and onion in butter until onion is translucent, but not brown.
    2. Combine with bread and seasonings.  Toss lightly.
    3. Add enough hot broth to moisten
    4. Either stuff a 14-18 lb. bird with the stuffing, or place in a baking dish and heat until ready to serve, to keep warm.
Other notes:
  • Buy Texas Toast, or other thick bread to make bread crumbs.
  • If bread is not dried out sufficiently when ready to make, spread bread cubes on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 225, until bread starts to dry out, but now browned.
  • Add 2 eggs to help the stuffing stick together, if you prefer.
  • Since I do not stuff the bird, I put the stuffing in a casserole dish and bake at 325 for about 15-20 minutes, or to keep warm (I drop the temperature of the oven and cover with tin foil if it's going to be longer than that)

No comments: